All jokes aside about whether it’s already been done, I think several things would happen:
(1) You’d very likely be discovered, and your actions would lead to an arrest, very probable conviction and massive prison time. Over time, you would be hailed as a hero by a relatively small percentage of the population, as “the man/woman who single-handedly hacked an entire election”. Most of the rest of the population would revile you.
(2) The vote would be recounted in all fifty states. If necessary, a new election would be held if the ballots were proven to be corrupted. The fact that most states use paper ballots should prevent this.
(3) The incident would get international attention. Among other things, it would prompt a huge amount of public outcry about how secure our election system is, what new measures we must take to prevent this from EVER happening again, and how vulnerable the rest of the nation’s infrastructure might be.
- Will there be a bloodbath coming in the 2018 elections for Democrats?
- What would happen if in a landslide election the Democrats seized a filibuster-proof majority?
- What accounts for the low level of voter participation in Texas? What can be done to increase voter participation in the short term and the long term?
- Quelle est votre raison si vous allez voter pour le Congrès lors de la prochaine élection au Gujarat?
- Who will win the next 2019 general elections in India and why?
(4) That would in turn likely spawn a wave of divisive rhetoric from both sides of the political aisle, with Democrats pointing the finger at Republicans and vice versa, accusing each other of being complicit in the hack, not doing enough to secure the nation, etc. Between the hack itself and the political fallout, we would likely also see massive selloffs on Wall Street fueled by uncertainty and mistrust in the government and economic systems, almost certainly leading us to another major recession or depression.
(5) As we struggle to get our ship upright again, we become vulnerable to outside attack (cyber and military). This in turn leads to the current President being forced to exercise the nuclear option, and Everyone Dies (TM).
(“Everyone Dies” is a trademark of Dave Consiglio )